Geek Radio

Music fan, music geek. You say potato, I say Tater Tot. This is for anyone interested in listening to new music. Some songs you may have already heard on the radio and some may not fit in with the current radio culture. Listen to my player while you go about your business. I will give information on one of the artists every week or so. If I’ve seen them live I‘ll add video and pictures, otherwise I’ll just give a brief defense as to why I included them on my playlist. Feel free to tell me which bands you like, and which ones you don’t. And even a music geek knows that Tater Tots are superior.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

# 11 Passenger

Alright, I've been a little absent. I blame the intoxicating combination of Facebook and Scrabble. I've been Scrabble (actually it's Lexulous) obsessed, but I'm starting to get a handle on it. So here I am with some new blog-love. I wish I had some brilliant insights after such a long hiatus, but it's going to be my usual ramblings.

Right now I'm not so crazy about the new songs by Jason Mraz. That probably seems like it's coming from out of nowhere, but stick with me on this one. He's got the super-sweet "I'm Yours," and then the love-fest "Lucky" (with Colbie Caillat). Don't get me wrong, I'm a Jason Mraz fan and I'm sure I'll like future stuff by him. I've seen him live twice and I think he's got a tremendous voice, a nice vibe about him, and a great sense of humor. I'm not trying to put him down. It's just that the songs are a bit too precious for me, like the musical equivalent to an imaginary tea party. Lots of air and cuteness, but no substance to quench my thirst.


Passenger, on the other hand, writes a pop song about stalking and I'm drinking it in. That might be more of a statement on me than on Jason Mraz. It's not his fault I'm slightly warped. There's nothing sweet about Passenger's music, except the up-tempo beat. The lyrics are ugly and twisted, and funny. "Night Vision Binoculars" is about as creepy as you can get, and I really love it. For the record, I'm not really a fan of stalking or harassing anyone. Does that really need to be said? It's a crazy world. Also check out "Wicked Man's Rest." Mesmerizing lyrics = good stuff. Now back to Lexulous.


Passenger's website: http://www.passengerofficial.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/passengerofficial

No comments: