Geek Radio

Music fan, music geek. You say potato, I say Tater Tot. This is for anyone interested in listening to new music. Some songs you may have already heard on the radio and some may not fit in with the current radio culture. Listen to my player while you go about your business. I will give information on one of the artists every week or so. If I’ve seen them live I‘ll add video and pictures, otherwise I’ll just give a brief defense as to why I included them on my playlist. Feel free to tell me which bands you like, and which ones you don’t. And even a music geek knows that Tater Tots are superior.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

#6 The Decemberists

I'm not the most graceful person. Stop being shocked, it's true. I've been known to trip for no apparent reason, aggressively smack my innocent hand against a wide door frame, and one time I came close to giving myself a concussion brushing my teeth. It involved a mouth full of toothpaste foam and a poorly timed sneeze. I don't think you need any more details. Let's just say what most people see as a simple task can be harrowing for me.

So I can identify with a song about making an ass of yourself in front of a bunch of people. The first time I heard The Decemberist's "The Sporting Life" it immediately caught my attention. It's a peppy proclamation of klutziness. In other words, it's a song after my own heart. In concert, front man Colin Meloy described it as semi-autobiographical, from his childhood YMCA days. The song starts with, "I fell on the playing field. The work of an errant heel." The Decemberists paint a picture of a poor kid sprawled on a field, embarrassing his coach, girlfriend, and father. "And father had had such hopes. For a son who would take the ropes. And fulfill all his old athletic aspirations. But apparently now there's some complications."

Here's a short clip from Austin City Limits Festival (2007)

Then there is "I was Meant for the Stage." I love the contrasting aptitude between the two songs. This one is about mastery and being born destined for greatness. The clumsy boy has picked himself off the ground and rebounded quite nicely. It's about knowing what you are capable of achieving and ignoring those who say you won't make it. All along he know he was going to be a star. "Was there ever any doubt?"

The Decemberists website: http://www.decemberists.com/

No comments: