Geek Radio

Music fan, music geek. You say potato, I say Tater Tot. This is for anyone interested in listening to new music. Some songs you may have already heard on the radio and some may not fit in with the current radio culture. Listen to my player while you go about your business. I will give information on one of the artists every week or so. If I’ve seen them live I‘ll add video and pictures, otherwise I’ll just give a brief defense as to why I included them on my playlist. Feel free to tell me which bands you like, and which ones you don’t. And even a music geek knows that Tater Tots are superior.

Friday, November 14, 2008

#10 Brett Dennen


I've guessed wrong before. In fact, it's kind of hereditary. Years ago my parents decided they should invest in the stock market to create a little retirement nest egg. They debated between two little known companies. The first was Munsingware, an underwear brand, and the other was Microsoft, you know, the computer giant. No offense to Munsingware but you can guess, with the benefit of hindsight, which of the two would've been the more lucrative choice. You can also guess which one my parents went with. Their logic was sound. Not everyone needs a computer but everyone needs underwear. Hereditary.

So I say this with that caveat out in the open: If I had to guess which musician on my little online radio player was going to be on multiple radio stations simultaneously, I'd vote for Brett Dennen.

He's got a very distinct voice, which works in his favor. His music fits comfortably across a bunch of music genres, from folk to alternative to general pop. I'm surprised no one has pressured him to write a country song just to try and cross over into that market too. His lyrics have substance. They speak of the need for positive change, which I think is a sentiment echoed by a lot of us observing the state of the world.

Of course, I probably would've bought stock in the underwear company too. Those newfangled computers will never really catch on.

Just take a moment to listen to "Ain't No Reason". Or watch it here from songchecklive:




His website: http://brettdennen.net/
His MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/brettdennen

No comments: