Geek Radio

Music fan, music geek. You say potato, I say Tater Tot. This is for anyone interested in listening to new music. Some songs you may have already heard on the radio and some may not fit in with the current radio culture. Listen to my player while you go about your business. I will give information on one of the artists every week or so. If I’ve seen them live I‘ll add video and pictures, otherwise I’ll just give a brief defense as to why I included them on my playlist. Feel free to tell me which bands you like, and which ones you don’t. And even a music geek knows that Tater Tots are superior.

Friday, February 29, 2008

#2 Ingrid Michaelson



I have a confession. I really didn't go to the Ingrid Michaelson concert to see Ingrid. I was all about David Ford (see previous post). Don't get me wrong, I was happy that she was playing too. When I am working, I create channels on Rhapsody so that there is always music floating around the studio. Rhapsody lets me pick up to ten bands/musicians, plays the musicians on the list, and then takes some liberties in playing similar artists. Ingrid was on my most recent list, even before I knew David Ford was touring with her. For anyone that might possibly care, or more for my own recollection, my most recent list is:

Rilo Kiley, The Bird And The Bee, Rogue Wave, Ingrid Michaelson, A Band of Bees, I'm From Barcelona, Manchester Orchestra, The Acorn, The Raconteurs, and Vampire Weekend.


For the most part I've been happy with the variety.


Anyway, back to Ingrid Michaelson. I am a fan of performers who interact with the audience. I want to feel like I am experiencing something different by seeing someone live, instead of listening to their CD. Ingrid is the queen of chatting in between, and even during, songs. The tone of her singing voice is very demur and subdued, so it was a nice mix when she joked around with the crowd, showing a flirtatious, easily amused, naughty side.


Here is Ingrid trying to encourage audience participation, and channeling Fiddy's In Da Club:




I was also impressed with just how good her voice sounded live. With fancy computers that can alter any sound, it seems like almost any cute girl chewing bubble gum can record an album. Even the bubble gum itself could probably lay down at least one track. Ingrid doesn't need any computer enhancement. I would see her again, even without David Ford.


The Way I Am:


Die Alone:

Ingrid Michaelson's website: http://www.ingridmichaelson.com/

Her MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/ingridmichaelson


There was one more act that weekend, who opened for David Ford and Ingrid Michaelson, and that was Matthew Perryman Jones. I am assuming MPJ for those who say his name a lot. It was a great night of music, because MPJ was more impressive than most opening acts. He instantly reminded me, and Mr. Fan, of Matt Costa, so if you like this clip of Save You, you may want to Google Matt Costa too.



No comments: