Geek Radio

Music fan, music geek. You say potato, I say Tater Tot. This is for anyone interested in listening to new music. Some songs you may have already heard on the radio and some may not fit in with the current radio culture. Listen to my player while you go about your business. I will give information on one of the artists every week or so. If I’ve seen them live I‘ll add video and pictures, otherwise I’ll just give a brief defense as to why I included them on my playlist. Feel free to tell me which bands you like, and which ones you don’t. And even a music geek knows that Tater Tots are superior.

Friday, April 4, 2008

# 5 Cold War Kids

"That accident left everyone a little shook up."

Cold War Kids were a last minute add to the Austin City Limits festival lineup last year (2007), jumping in when some of the scheduled artists backed out. I was familiar with the name, but didn't think too much of the addition.

Texas is hot. Even in September, it was sweltering. This is a random guy trying to create shade using some fans.

We were wandering around somewhat aimlessly, slightly delirious from the sun, and found a patch of grass to collapse on. It was really dumb luck that it was within earshot of the Cold War Kids. Here is a short recording of St. John at the Austin City Limits Festival:



They are from California and, according to Wikipedia, the band consists of Nathan Willett, Jonnie Russell, Matt Maust, and Matt Aveir. If Wikipedia says so, it must be true.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but St. John and We Used To Vacation are now two of my favorite songs. I love the use of percussion on St. John, the changing tempo, and the piano riff at the end.

For We Used To Vacation, I love the line that started this post, and how it's never completely explained.

Here is a video from http://www.youtube.com/user/v2italy



10/17/08 A little editing update: I saw them again on 10/14/08 at The Paradise in Boston, MA. They are energetic and entertaining live. I was impressed with how they performed Robbers. They sang with the stage dark and the band shined flashlights out onto the audience. You know, like they were robbers. The other highlight, was St. John.



Cold War Kids MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/coldwarkids
Their website: http://www.coldwarkids.com/

No comments: