Geek Radio

Music fan, music geek. You say potato, I say Tater Tot. This is for anyone interested in listening to new music. Some songs you may have already heard on the radio and some may not fit in with the current radio culture. Listen to my player while you go about your business. I will give information on one of the artists every week or so. If I’ve seen them live I‘ll add video and pictures, otherwise I’ll just give a brief defense as to why I included them on my playlist. Feel free to tell me which bands you like, and which ones you don’t. And even a music geek knows that Tater Tots are superior.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

#3 Ryan Montbleau Band

If I could buy stock in a band, I would purchase shares of the Ryan Montbleau Band. That's how strongly I believe this group from Boston has the potential to be huge. Of course, that got me and Mr. Fan talking about what the music business might be like if people could buy musician stock. A band is a small business, so it seems possible to make a certain percentage of shares available to their fans, and then the fans reap that percentage of the reward. You could change the whole music industry, and have it be more music-lover driven instead of being controlled by a big business. If you bought stock in a band and then didn't like the direction they were going, you could just sell your shares, because maybe someone else would have become a fan. It would be the "Stock and Roll" index. Brings a whole new meaning to the term, "Music Broker."

Anyway, I can be a bit tangential at times. Back to the Ryan Montbleau Band. They are difficult to classify, which is part of why I love them so. They are kind of jazzy, with some swing music, add a little soul, some folksiness, but in the end it is mixed together in an alternative rock, funky kind of way. Did you get all that?

They are lead by, as you could probably guess, Ryan Montbleau, who has an amazing voice that has been compared to Martin Sexton and Stevie Wonder, at least according to their website. He sits on a stool with his guitar and belts out songs about love, growth, and eggs.

Ryan is rounded out by drummer James Cohen, percussionist Yahuba Garcia, keyboardist Jason Cohen, Matt Gainarros on bass, and Larry Scudder on viola.

Here is a clip of "Maybe Today" recorded at The Stone Church in Newmarket, NH:


And here is a clip of the fans at Tupelo Music Hall in Londonderry, NH getting into "Inspired by No One":

Their website is: http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

No comments: